Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cheezy Chorizo Superbowl Bake

I am a little late in posting my Superbowl dish, but better late than never, right!?

*Sigh*  I love the Superbowl, but it is a bittersweet event, signaling the end of football season.  Sadly, my beloved Colts did not make it this year, but since I am a major football fan, I did - of course - enjoy the Superbowl anyway.  Since I couldn't scream and yell for my boys in blue, I rooted for the quarterback who rocked my fantasy season and cheered on the Packers (I can't rightly side with the Steelers, anyhow).

Regardless of who's playing, Superbowl Sunday is always a great time to get together with friends and enjoy great food and fun beverages.  I love the social aspect of the game as much as the game and commercials.  However, whenever I attend an event at someone else's house, I bring my own feast.  While this can be burdensome, I like to take the opportunity to treat myself to something I might not normally eat, get my creative juices flowing, and expose my non-veg friends to some outside-the-box dishes.  So, I am joined a couple male friends on the northwest side with the following:

Cheezy Chorizo Superbowl Bake

*1 package vegan chorizo-style sausage/seitan
*1 can black or pinto beans
*1 c. salsa
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*1-2 jalapenos, chopped (opt.)
*handful cilantro, chopped
*1/4 c. vegan cream cheese (at room temp.)
*Daiya cheddar cheeze

Preheat oven to 425º.
Chop chorizo into small pieces*.  Combine all ingredients except Daiya in a bowl until will mixed.  Place mixture into baking dish and bake 30 min.  Remove from oven and top with Daiya; bake until cheeze is melted.  Serve with chips.

*You will only need to chop if you have the link-style chorizo.  I used Upton's Naturals, which is made with seitan, and it just crumbles into small pieces (you know, like ground beef).

**I know, I know...I'm a terrible blogger.  I totally forgot to take a picture of this.  But it looked just as delicious as it tasted.  Next time I make it (and I will), I will upload the picture. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: