Sunday, February 20, 2011

Garlic Shiitake and Bok Choy Salad with Spicy Orange Ginger Dressing

I had so much fun showing my friend Jacquie around the farmers' market this weekend.  We walked around and picked up some great stuff, gabbing mostly about how we can't wait for spring when there will be more produce for use to choose from.  I picked up some great organic shiitakes from Homestead Growers/Local Folks Foods.  I thought I might make some of Chef Chloe's garlic sesame soba noodles, but I just wasn't in the mood for a heavy noodle dish.  I decided to use some of the bok choy I got from Green B.E.A.N. and spruce up my bok choy salad (which is great, but is better for lunch, as it is pretty plain-and-simple).  I'm so glad I did, because the result was a great dinner salad!

Garlic Shiitake and Bok Choy Salad with Spicy Orange Ginger Dressing


Salad:
*1 Tbsp. sesame oil
*1 clove garlic, minced
*5-6 shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced into long strips
*1 Tbsp. orange juice
*dash tamari or soy sauce
*4-5 leaves bok choy, sliced
*3-4 green onions, sliced
*1 tsp. sesame seeds (black, white, or combo)
*Spicy Orange Ginger Dressing (see below)
Heat sesame oil in skillet; add garlic until fragrant.  Add mushrooms and sautée until soft and heated, then add orange juice and tamari/soy sauce.  Allow mushrooms to cook a few more minutes, until they have soaked up juice.

Plate the bok choy and top with sliced green onion, mushrooms, and garnish with sesame seeds.  Drizzle spicy orange ginger dressing over top.

Spicy Orange Ginger Dressing:
*1 large orange, juiced
*1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
*1-2 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
*1/2 - 1 tsp. Vietnamese chili sauce
*1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
*dash cardamom

Whisk all ingredients together with fork or whisk.  Drizzle over Asian-style salad, like Garlic Shiitake and Bok Choy Salad).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: