Saturday, February 26, 2011

Red Lentil and Arugula Soup

Today is prep day.  I have been very busy, so many times I have gotten lazy in prepping things that I've bought to keep well, and to get things ready for lunch/dinner the next day.  I have found myself feeling rushed for dinner, or eating late...neither of which is ideal for me.  SO, I have designated today "prep day".  I am washing, chopping, storing, cooking, prepping.  It feels good.  I hope it helps alleviate some of the stress I've been feeling throughout the work week.

Well, I went to make some of my veggie lentil soup, and alas...I was out of green lentils.  All I had was a bit of red.  Hmmmm....not ideal!

And I had forgotten to pick up diced tomatoes at the grocery.  Poor planning on my part.

I also had some arugula in my fridge that I'd bought at IWFM last week, which was about to be compost, but was salvageable.

I figured this was my opportunity to change things up a bit.  So, I changed up my regular Simple Veggie Lentil Soup recipe and came up with:  Red Lentil and Arugula Soup.  : )  I think I will be enjoying this for lunch/dinner for a few days.  When it is gone, I fully intend to replace it at meals with some split pea and dill soup (an experimental adaptation from a friend).

Red Lentil and Arugula Soup

*4 c. water + 2 vegan bouillon cubes (or 4 c. veggie stock)
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1/2 yellow onion, chopped
*3 ribs celery, chopped
*3 small carrots, chopped
*1 to 1 1/4 c. red lentils, rinsed
*1 tsp. cumin
*1/2 tsp. dried thyme
*celery greens
*couple handfuls fresh arugula greens
*Optional:  toasted garlic, minced OR toasted chopped pecans

In large pot, combine all chopped veggies and lentils.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and add spices.  Let simmer about 30-45 min. (until veggies are tender and lentils are cooked).  Add celery greens (those great bits of leafy, light green stalks in the very middle) during last 10 min. of cooking.  Remove from heat and stir in the arugula.  Top with toasted minced garlic or chopped pecans (optional).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: