Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hot and Spicy Black Bean Salsa with Spinach



This recipe came about because I wanted spicy, I wanted beans, I wanted Mexican. I didn't have tortillas or guacamole, so my burritos weren't doable. I used what I had and made this warm black bean salsa...and it was actually more delicious than I had expected! Here goes...

-1/2 c. black beans (dry)
-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
-1/4 medium onion, chopped
-1/2 medium green bell pepper
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp. chili powder
-1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
-1 small-medium tomato, chopped
-1 c. fresh spinach
-salt/ground pepper to taste

Rinse and soak black beans overnight. Place soaked beans in saucepan with water and cook desired tenderness.

Heat olive oil in skillet. Saute onion and bell pepper until slightly tender. Add garlic and heat until vegetables are soft and onions translucent. Stir in beans and chili powder; cook until heated through. Stir in tomatoes until warmed. Add spinach and allow to wilt. Season with salt/pepper.

Serve warm with tortilla chips (my favorite are Garden of Eatin' Red Hot Blues).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: