Friday, May 14, 2010

Gluten-Free, Vegan Pizza : )

I love pizza...I do not love what pizza does to my body. However, every once in a while, I want to indulge in a savory, vegetable-ridden dish that satisfies my craving for not-so-body-loving food like pizza. SO, here is my attempt at something yummy to do the trick.




For dough:

-1/3 c. flax meal
-1/3 c. almond meal
-1/3 c. coconut flour
-1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. sea salt
-1 tsp. thyme
-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
-1/2 tsp. onion powder
-ground pepper to taste
-vegan egg replacer for 2 eggs (I use Ener-G)
-3 tsp. olive oil
-water

Preheat oven to 375. Spray shallow baking pan or use pizza stone.

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add wet ingredients, adding water a couple tablespoons at a time, until dough forms. Use hands to form pizza shape on baking pan. Place in oven and bake 10-15 min, until lightly crisp.

Toppings:
Add your favorite pizza toppings. I don't care for pizza sauce or vegan cheeses, so my pizzas are sauce- and cheese-free. My favorites veggie combo:
-olive oil/minced garlic (instead of sauce)
-fresh spinach
-sliced onion
-artichoke hearts
-black olives
-fresh or sun-dried tomatoes
**optional fauxmesean to sprinkle on top (see below)

Place back in oven and back until veggies are warmed, brown and crisp around edges. Remove from oven; allow to cool 5-10 min. before cutting.

*Note: This crust might be a little crumbly, so you may need to use a fork rather than pick it up with your hands. If it's too crumbly, try a little more olive oil or water next time.

**To make fauxmesean (faux parmesean), add equal parts sesame seeds and nutritional yeast in the food processor. Blend until finely ground (not too much, or you'll get a paste!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: