Saturday, January 29, 2011

Acorn Squash Stuffed with Toasted Quinoa Sprouts, Crimini Mushrooms, and Apples

Winter squash.  It's just about the only fresh produce you can count on seeing each week at the farmers' market here in Indy.  Last week I took advantage and picked up some great organic acorn squash, since I hadn't tried that particular variety before.  I really liked the shape of it; it was just begging me to cut it in half and stuff it with something yummy.  I had also grabbed some more awesome apples at the market and gotten some crimini mushrooms from Green B.E.A.N. Delivery.  Apparently I'm on a quinoa kick, so I decided to do a little variation on my Confetti Quinoa.  It turned out great, and super fun!  Wish I'd had someone here to share it with (but the leftovers were simply delicious, even two days later!).

Just a quick note before I share the recipe:  I did not cook this quinoa before I used it, but sprouted it.  I soaked the raw kernels 8 hours, rinsed, and soaked another 8 hours.  Then, I let it sit in the fridge a couple days.  This is how I used it in the recipe, and it turned out a little crunchier and nuttier than cooked quinoa.  I actually really enjoyed the texture of the quinoa prepared in this way.  However, feel free to cook the quinoa according to directions if you'd prefer.  Here's an article on another way to sprout quinoa.

Acorn Squash Stuffed with Toasted Quinoa Sprouts, Crimini Mushrooms, and Apples

Sorry about the terrible picture quality.  I am not a photographer...
...and apparently I have a thing for breaking cameras.  I've been using my iPod to snap photographs.


*1 med. acorn squash, halved and seeded (don't forget to wash and roast the seeds)
*1/2 c. quinoa, sprouted
*1 Tbsp. olive oil, + more for drizzling
*1/2 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*10-12 crimini mushrooms, sliced thin
*1 apple, roughly chopped
*1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
*sea salt/pepper to taste
*1/4 c. raisins
*paprika


Preheat oven to 400º.  Place squash halves upside down on a baking sheet.  Bake about 30 min, until soft.


Heat oil in skillet.  Add garlic and onions until soft.  Add mushrooms and sautée.  Add quinoa, apples and thyme, season with salt and pepper.  Cook until heated through and quinoa is slightly browned.


Spoon quinoa mixture into squash halves.  Top with raisins, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika.  Place in oven and bake about 15 min., until tops are golden brown and raisins have plumped.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet.

**Use your fork to scrape the squash flesh from the skin as you eat to combine with the stuffing.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: