Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bok Choy Braised with Mushrooms - á la Green B.E.A.N. Delivery

If you are an Indy local and have not tried out Green B.E.A.N. delivery service, I highly recommend it.  I know I've raved about it before, but I just think this is a wonderful company.  I get fresh, local, and organic produce delivered to my door, and I can't tell you how many great things I've been exposed to because of this service.  I typically pick up most of my produce at the farmers' markets, but if I can't find something there, I may be able to get it from Green B.E.A.N.  Plus, they have some great grocery items available, as well as bulk items.  (P.S. If you're not in Indianapolis, Green B.E.A.N. also has a branch in Ohio, delivering around the Cincinnati area.)  Visit the Green B.E.A.N. website and sign up to receive a bin full of goodness.  Don't forget to let them know that I (Tabitha Shearer) sent you!

Each week, Green B.E.A.N. sends me an e-newsletter with new items, weekly sale items, information about their cooperating local companies, nutritional info about a featured produce item, and recipes.  They've had many tasty-looking recipes that I've really wanted to try.  This week's recipe:  Bok Choy Braised with Mushrooms!  

It seems like fate, as I have some bok choy AND some local/organic shitake mushrooms in my refrigerator.  I picked them up at the IWFM (Indy Winter Farmers Market) this past Saturday, and because of my emergency wisdom tooth extraction, I have not cooked anything at all this week. I need to use those beautiful babies up very soon, before they are unusable!  I was going to make Chef Chloe's garlic sesame soba noodles, but after all the crap I've been eating (using my surgery and all the meds as an excuse), I don't need noodles.  I think this will be just the thing!  Wanted to share it with you all...even though it's not my own recipe.

Bok Choy Braised with Mushrooms

*2 to 3 baby bok choy heads (1 ½ to 1 ¾ pounds), washed, leaves and stems separated
*2 tablespoons peanut oil
*2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
*1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
*1 cup vegetable broth
*1 cup mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
*1 teaspoon rice vinegar
 
Prepare the bok choy by cutting each white stalk in half lengthwise and then crosswise into ¼ inch slices.  Stack the leafy greens and then slice them crosswise into ½ inch strips.  Keep the sliced stalks and leaves separate.

Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat until hot, about 2 minutes.  Add oil, swirl to coat pan bottom.  Add bok choy stalks and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.  Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add bok choy greens, broth, mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring twice, until bok choy is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove cover, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until excess liquid evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes (bok choy should be moist but not soupy).  Stir in rice vinegar and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper; serve immediately.  Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: