Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Orange Fennel, Shiitake, and Bok Choy Salad

A while back, I posted this recipe for Orange Braised Fennel.  While I loved it, I felt it needed a little something more.  If you've read my blog at all, you might have noticed how much I love Asian dishes, salads, and especially bok choy.  So, I decided to braise my fennel with some shiitake mushrooms and serve it on a baby bok choy salad.  I have to say, it is my new FAVORITE salad to make.  Yummy!
 

Orange Fennel and Shiitake Mushrooms
*1 bulbs fennel, sliced about 1/4 in. thick slices
*couple handfuls shiitake mushrooms, sliced
*1Tbsp. sesame oil (can substitute olive oil or melted Earth Balance)
*1 c. freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
*sea salt and freshly ground pepper
*1/4 cup dry white wine
Heat oil in a large skillet.  Lay fennel slices in skillet, cook, turning once, until browned (about 5 minutes per side).
Pour orange juice over fennel and add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper.  Bring mixture to a boil,  then reduce to a simmer.  Cook until fennel is tender (about 10 min.).  Add wine and continue cooking until fennel is very tender and sauce has thickened (about 10 minutes more).  Season with salt and pepper, as desired, and serve warm. 

Orange Fennel, Shiitake, and Bok Choy Salad
*1 large head baby bok choy, sliced on diagonal
*handful arugula (optional)
*orange fennel and shiitakes (from above) 
*3-4 scallions, sliced thinly on the diagonal
*1-2 tsp. black and/or white sesame seeds

Arrange bok choy on plate.  Spoon warm fennel and mushrooms over the bok choy.  Top with sliced scallions, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.


Note:  This recipe makes 2 large salads.  I usually make one warm salad, then package the next one for lunch the next day (it is delicious cold, as well as warm).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: