Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Froze-in February Fiesta Black Beans and I-Forot-My-ID Froze-In Cocktails

I know, you all have missed me.  It's been about...a couple hours since my last post.  OK, so I'm a little bored and stir-crazy with this ice storm.  BUT, it's giving me plenty of time to write, blog, and throw together random things I have in my kitchen (no, not all of which have been blog-worthy).

Last night I decided I had had it and it was time to get out, if even for a little bit.  I resolved to walk to the little Mexican restaurant around the corner from my house (less than a mile...not too bad) for some of their delicious, fresh guacamole.  I didn't want to get my car out of the garage; I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back up the driveway...and then I would have to go all the way outside to start it AND scrape windows...YUCK!  So I bundled up (2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, hoodie, a fluffy vest, puffy coat, large scarf, cap hat, gloves, and boots), and set out on foot.  Actually, the walk there wasn't half bad.  The wind was at my back so I barely felt the cold!  I stopped at the Mexican grocery - where everything is written in Spanish, and everyone speaks Spanish - for some tortilla chips, walked a few doors down for the guac, then to the next door to choose some booze.  Wine can make being shut in better for anyone, right?

Of course, I didn't have room in all that bundling for my wallet, so I had just grabbed a couple bucks and my debit card.  I totally didn't even think about my ID until the scruffy older woman at the counter said with a scowl, "Just need to see your ID."  DOH!  I politely told her I didn't have it, totally forgot it, my bad.  "Well, I know, it's your fault."  Huh?  Whaaaa?  I mean, I know, I understand why you might think I'm some dumb-ass minor who's trying to pull one over on you, but still...you don't have to be so crabby!  I smiled at her and left, with half a mind to drive my happy ass back with my ID just to be trite.  Nah...not worth it!  I had vodka in the freezer anyway.  :-D

After walking home, making the best of the sleet stinging my face since the wind was now in my face, I was ready for something warm to go with my chips and guac.  Here's what I concocted (using what I had in my cupboard, plus a couple things I picked up at the Mexi-market while I was there).

Froze-in February Fiesta Black Beans with Mango and Spinach
*1 can black beans, rinsed (my favorite are Eden Organic...they have kombu seaweed, which helps cut down on the flatulence factor ;-) )
*1 c. your favorite jar salsa (I would normally add fresh ingredients tomatoes/jalapenos/onions, but I didn't have any!)
*1 mango, cubed
*1-2 handfuls fresh spinach
*dash cayenne
*1 tsp. chili powder

Bring black beans and salsa to a simmer in small saucepan or shallow pan.  Stir in remaining ingredients until spinach is wilted.  Serve warm with chips and guacamole, or use as tortilla filling!

Now since I couldn't buy myself some wine, I decided to whip myself up a frozen concoction with what I had.  Vodka, fresh and frozen fruit, it can be done!  Frozen cocktails while I'm "froze-in"...meh, we make the best of what we have!

I-Forgot-My-ID Cocktails

Since I wasn't able to buy wine, and I was in desperate want of some adult refreshment, I had to use what I had in my kitchen already.  Here's what I found to inspire me:

-an opened bottle of vodka in the freezer
-a bottle each of apple pucker and apple vodka
-an unopened bottle of Strawberry Hill Boone's Farm (joke gift from a friend for my last birthday)
-a variety of frozen fruits (mixed berries, blueberries, pineapple)
-fresh bananas, apples, pears, oranges

I-Forgot-My-ID Froze-In Cocktail:  Sled-berry Hill
*1/2 banana (fresh or frozen)
*1 c. (approx.) frozen mixed berries
*1 part vodka
*6 parts Strawberry Hill Boone's Farm (separated, 3+3)



Place banana, berries, vodka, and 3 parts Strawberry Hill in blender.  Blend on high until smooth.  Pour remaining 3 parts Strawberry Hill into glass, then pour frozen mixture in on top.  Garnish with sliced banana and/or strawberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: