Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hot Cocoa(nut)

As I was making Chef Chloe's "Holiday Spiced Creme Brulee" this evening, I was taken over by the decadent texture of the coconut milk, and the smell of the cinnamon and coconut wafting up from the saucepan. This inspired to attempt a vegan hot cocoa. As I sip it now, I feel so warm and cozy. It is rich and chocolatey, with just enough spice to make it taste sinful! So, without further ado...


*1/2 c. lite coconut milk
*1/2 c. almond milk
*3 Tbsp. vegan sugar (I used turbinado)
*1 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
*sprinkle cinnamon
*pinch sea salt
*1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a saucepan over low-medium heat, whisk together coconut milk, almond milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk ingredients until mixed thoroughly and heated completely (not necessary to boil). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into a small mug and top with Dandies vegan marshmallows or vegan whipped cream if desired (I was perfectly content without any topping). Then, cozy up with a blanket and enjoy!

Notes:
***If you prefer an even thicker hot cocoa, use more coconut milk and less almond. If you don't like it so thick, use more almond milk and less coconut.
***This only makes one serving and will probably not fill your mug. I didn't want to over-indulge myself, so this was more than plenty to satisfy my chocolatey-sweet craving. I put the remainder of the coconut milk in the fridge for later use (hot cocoa tomorrow????). Double if you dare! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: